Translate

Thursday 27 June 2013

A visit at Sykopetra village, Limassol



A visit at Sykopetra village

It was a long time since I have been in Sykopetra. Actually I was just a kid the last time my parents took me at Sykopetra. My grandmother was born there but it never came to my mind to revisit the village and find more about my roots.

We took the road from Nicosia towards Palaichori village and then turned left following the signs. Just 11 kilometres distance, but it took a lot of time to reach the village, as the road has too many turns.

As we entered the village I was surprised to see that although small in size, people either build new houses or renovate their existing ones. With just about 50 permanent residents, old in age we have to say, Sykopetra is still alive mainly due to the younger generations that come back specially in the summer time.

For me it was a chance to visit and get to know for the first time my grandmother's sister!

Needless to say that I will be visiting Sykopetra more often now.


No comments:

Post a Comment